Wednesday 3 August 2011

The Slaley Show

Sorry if I've been a bit quiet the last few weeks. I've been a bit like "oh I don't have to worry about X, Y and Z  until August... aaargh it is August!".  Now I have one weekend to make a birthday card for my Dad, redecorate the bathroom, and thoroughly clean the house (or it won't get done until September cos we're so busy for the rest of the month!).

Anyway, enough of that and on to the point of this post...

I grew up in a small village in Northumberland (that's in the north of England for anyone not familiar with the UK) where my parents still live. Every year the village has a show - local farmers show off their sheep and hens, there's alpacas, a pony fancy dress competition for children, and competitions for baking cakes, jam making, wood-turning, flower arranging, photography, art and handicrafts - all sorts of things. There's also a craft tent and craft demonstrations.

My husband and I always go up to stay with my parents for the weekend and go to the show. My mum always enters a bottle of home-made sloe gin (which we get to drink afterwards - yummy!) and my dad and my husband always compete in the photography sections. I usually try to enter a card or two. The same people pretty much win every year and we always rant about the wildlife photography competition being won by someone who is actually a semi-pro wildlife photographer (his pictures are stunning though!)

This year I'm entering a couple of cards (which I still have to finish!) and a decorated box. Not sure how well my card style will go down with the judges and the box is my first attempt at decorating one, so I suspect I'm not going to win anything. The main thing is just to support the show and make sure there are plenty of entries for visitors to see.


If by any chance you happen to be in the area on Saturday 13th August why not drop in (click the logo to see the show website for more info) - apparently there's going to be ferret racing this year!


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many thanks for reading and commenting on my blog. It's fantastic to get your comments and feedback xx