Wednesday 3 August 2011

Shabby chic butterfly box

Just a quick post to show you the box I've decorated for the Slaley Show (see earlier post).

It started off as a wooden box that had chocolate coated gingers in. I painted it with Fresco Finish paints in baltic blue outside and in, then used a layer of crackle glaze on the outside and painted over with snowflake.


The butterfly stamp was one of the Craft Stamper magazine freebies and the other stamped elements are from a magnetic set from Making Memories. All stamped in black archival ink. 

The bookplate is a Tim Holtz ideology one smudged with some more baltic blue paint. The butterfly image in the centre is from the Tim Holtz Papillon stamp set -  I happened to have it stamped on acetate left over from a previous piece. I covered it with diamond glaze for a glassy effect.


I quite like the finished box, although there are definitely things I would change if I was doing it over, including stamping the butterflies inside the box in white, and generally making a neater job of the painting.  Also I think I would have tried to use the papillon stamps for all the butterflies - it's just a bit fiddly to ink up a single butterfly from that set.

That all for now. Thanks for reading  :0)

Sarah
xx

3 comments:

  1. That sure is a lovely box you have there!! Just as well we know what we are talking about. Good luck next Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really lovely. It looks like something you would buy in one of those very expensive home interior shops.
    Regards Florence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous box love the colour.......looks very classy too xx

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for reading and commenting on my blog. It's fantastic to get your comments and feedback xx