Friday 1 July 2011

The universe in a brain cell!

Every now and again I come across non-crafty things that I really have to share and this is one of those:
Taken from the New York Times
These picture on the left is an image of mouse brain cells and The image on the right is a simulation of the universe. A mouse neuron is only a few thousandths of a millimeter wide whereas the universe is billions of light-years wide, but the similarity of the pattern is striking and awe inspiring.

I find something very appealing in the idea that many different natural phenomena are built with the same structure but on vastly different scales - maybe its a feeling that there is some sort of order in apparent chaos.

On a more arty note, the structure of brain cells can have a real beauty (see the fab jewellery made by Morphologica on Etsy - keep hinting at hubby to buy me some) and I keep thinking about making some sort of artwork on this theme. Hmmm will have to put my mind to it and have a go.

Sarah
xx

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, pictures like this inspire great awe with nature love that you came across this and have shared it with us. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for reading and commenting on my blog. It's fantastic to get your comments and feedback xx