Saturday 21 May 2011

One for sorrow, two for joy

It's taken me all afternoon and a few odd hours here and there during the week, but I have finally finished my entry for the Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge this week. It's the first time I've entered this challenge, but I really liked the theme and one idea just got stuck in my head. The theme was 'Old Wives Tales' so after some thought I remembered the rhyme about the meaning of seeing different numbers of magpies.
One for sorrow
Two for joy
Three for a girl
For for a boy
Five for silver 
Six for gold
Seven for a secret never to be told

I think maybe what brought this to mind was seeing magpies in our garden a lot the last few weeks, usually one at a time so I really hope the rhyme isn't right :0)

Anyway, I think it fits the theme quite well and was perfect inspiration for a mini ATC sized album thingie.

  


Here's each page individually:



The skeleton image I used on the first page is from a fantastic stamp by Kaycee crafts. They have a great range of clear stamps with some more unusual images. I discovered them through their Ebay shop, but they have their own website too which is slightly cheaper (although the prices are very reasonable anyway).



The small lettering I used on all of these was from a little wooded alphabet stamp set from Hampton Arts I've had for ages. I'd never used them because I thought they'd be too fiddly - sort of true if you want the letters perfectly aligned, but for a more grungy look they are actually great. I'd been intending to  get rid of them in my next clear out, but I'll be hanging onto them now.


I love the background for the silver page This was white card coloured with dusty concord and vintage photo distress inks, embossed with a Tim Holtz texture fade, then silver ink swiped over and clear heat embossed. It looks so much better in real life than in my rubbishy photo.


I'm sure there are more lines to the rhyme, but this will have to do for now.

Sarah
xx

8 comments:

  1. Hello there! LOVE your seven ATC cards depicting your old wives' tale saying. They are very well done. Love the colors, the stamps and the embellishments you used to make them. Very well done! Thanks for sharing them with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely brilliant Just love this fantastic set. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant take on the challenge, love them all. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great project - so unique and yet very detailed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful idea to use that rhyme... and great little ATC book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your ATC cards! Something I've been thinking about getting into! Love the details, colours and technique! Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a clever idea! Beautifully executed. A little treasure!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally fantastic! I love the old wive's tale you picked and you did an amazing job of turning it into a piece of art. Beautiful work! So happy you joined in our Old Wives' Tale challenge this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for reading and commenting on my blog. It's fantastic to get your comments and feedback xx