Monday 29 September 2014

Thinking off the shelf

Thanks for visiting my blog. I know it's been a long time since I posted anything, but I've finally managed to find a little creative time.
I'd like to show you an abstract mixed media piece that started life as a shelf from an Ikea cd unit!


The picture below shows the shelf as it was originally.


I started by covering it with old book pages and then inked, stencilled, grunge pasted, and painted. Originally I just had turquoise and pink/purple shades, but it needed more. Then I spotted the inspiration photo on the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog. I decided a splash of yellow might work. It didn't. But somehow partially covering it all with yellow helped led me to something I liked much better with the same pink, turquoise and yellow colour scheme. I'm definitely embracing the 'if it doesn't work keep adding paint until it does' idea!

Here are a couple more pictures to show the texture - I love how it has worked out.





So I'm entering this into the Try It On Tuesday 'recycle it' challenge and the Mixed Media Monthly photo inspiration challenge.
Hope you like it,

Xx


8 comments:

  1. I love this it is stunning thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic abstract piece! I love the amazing colours and texture.
    Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday.
    Mar x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive art piece. Beautiful colours and texture. Thank for sharing it with TioT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From a shelf to a piece of abstract art!! So cool!! Love the textures and colors. Thanks for joining us in this month's Mixed Media Monthly Color Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous canvas. Love the colors and textures. Thanks for playing at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous! love the texture! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty canvas! So so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great repurposing! I love the colors you used, so bold. Thanks for playing along in the Mixed Media Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for reading and commenting on my blog. It's fantastic to get your comments and feedback xx