Thursday 6 October 2011

Endings or beginnings?

I've been badly neglecting my blog for a while. It's been a busy time with conferences, holidays and bathroom decorating. Also was coming up to the end of my contract at work. Sadly, it ended last friday, so after 5 years in the same place I have to move on... to what I don't yet know.

I've applied for lots of jobs and haven't even had an interview - I work in psychological research and I guess the university research funding cuts have made things a lot more competitive. It's especially difficult because my husbands job means I want to stay in the same part of the country. The academic career path seems to expect people to move around the country (or world!) for years before they can get a permanent job and settle somewhere. I'm not willing to do this and it frustrates me that I end up feeling like I have to apologise for putting my family and personal life before my career.
So I think it's time for plan B... however, having a PhD apparently qualifies me for absolutely nothing in the real world so it might prove a little tricky!

At least having no job means I can make the most of having some inky crafty time. I have endless projects I want to do and xmas cards to make, so I'll definitely be keeping myself busy.

For starters...


This photo frame was lurking in my husbands study. The frame was a faded green and the photo in it was an old and unflattering picture of the two of us from around 10 years ago. It was just crying out to be updated. I used one of my favourite photos from our wedding and the text is the poem (by e. e. cummings) that hubby and I read to each other in the ceremony.

i carry your heart with me 
i carry it in my heart 
i am never without it 
anywhere i go you go,my dear; 
and whatever is done by only me is your doing, my darling 
i fear no fate for you are my fate,my sweet 
i want no world  for beautiful you are my world, my true 
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant 
and whatever a sun will always sing is you 
here is the deepest secret nobody knows 
here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud 
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; 
 which grows higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide 
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart 
I carry your heart 
i carry it in my heart

Will be back with some more crafty stuff soon

Sarah
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many thanks for reading and commenting on my blog. It's fantastic to get your comments and feedback xx